Monday 20 October 2008

Decision

After some soul-searching and calendar-scouring, I've decided I'm going to attempt NaNoWriMo again this year. I only managed about 16,000 words last November, but am coming at it from a different angle this year. I've noticed that while my WIP isn't autobiographical, a lot of the characters and situations have some basis in my life or experiences my friends have had. I think this is understandable, but I want to broaden my writing. So, for NaNo I've decided to really experiment and try to write against my instincts, in terms of characters and plot. I'm not letting myself think too much about it before November 1st (though to be honest I'm so busy right now, that's not too hard!), but I've already got some ideas, and they feel really fresh and different. When it gets to December, I'll have to reassess what I want to concentrate on, and whether my NaNo writing will change any aspects of my WIP. I'm really excited about seeing what will happen!

1 comment:

Zinnia Cyclamen said...

I've never done NaNo, but your approach to it sounds really interesting. And 16000 words in a month is nothing to sneeze at in my opinion. I hope it works out well for you this year.

 
Who links to me?