Saturday 1 May 2010

Pearl of China - Anchee Min

With only peripheral knowledge of Pearl S Buck, I came to this book not knowing what to expect. Min’s prose, simple and understated, gives this epic story space to build itself in your mind’s eye, making the unfamiliar terrain and times come to life through her engaging cast of characters.

The story covers the life of Pearl S Buck’s fictional Chinese best friend, Willow, a character created by Min but based on a number of key figures from Buck’s life. Covering 70 years or so means that we dip in and out of Willow’s life, following her through pre-revolutionary China to Mao’s heyday and beyond. These dramatic episodes carry the story forward, but I found myself wanting to know more about everyday life for China’s ordinary people through these interesting times, so now I’m going to read ‘The Good Earth’ by Pearl S Buck herself, Min’s inspiration for writing this remarkable work.

2 comments:

products said...

I agree you!I like your blog very much! thank you ,I have learned a lot. cheap cell phones Thanks for your share! I like it very much! China Wholesale I agree you! wish them happy every day! mobile phoneenjoy a high quality of life, New Mobile Phones you are welcomed to the following worlds: cheap cocktail dresses Thanks for your share!I have learned a lot. cheap cell phones wholesale Beautiful children,a happy family. cheap cell phonesThanks for your share! Cheap Wedding Dresses I like it very much! thank you ,I have learned a lot. cosplay costumesThanks for your share! I like it very much! cheap cosplay costumesthank you ,I have learned a lot.

Dawn said...

The Good Earth is well worth the read. I hope you enjoy it as much as I did.

 
Who links to me?