Thursday 6 September 2007

Now I believe the hype...

I've been struggling with the structure of my WIP for a while, and it has been feeling more and more like a 1000 piece jigsaw of baked beans. Different forms have occurred to me, I've fiddled around with my ideas, jotted notes, mind mapped and gone back to the drawing board so many times that I was beginning to feel a bit down-hearted, and was contemplating pushing this to the bottom of my pile, and start on something new until it all fell into place. I've also cynically raised an eyebrow while watching the Virgin Trains advert about being inspired and having big ideas in their shiny red coaches (too many people wearing noisy headphones so the only inspiration I usually have involves cutting their wires with the scissors I luckily never have with me...). But this morning was different. I got on my train to work, sat down, read a few pages of my book and had my Big Idea. I know how to make it work. I think. (I hope)

5 comments:

Lane Mathias said...

Sounds like you've had a breakthrough.
Good luck with it:))

Graeme K Talboys said...

Great moment. All those different attempts probably helped in their obscure and annoying way. Did it feel great to see how to make it work?

Best of luck with it.

Lazy Perfectionista said...

Thanks guys, yes it felt great! Now I just want to get on with it and actually get it all down on paper...

Unknown said...

Yahoo. So pleased for you :-)

CL Taylor said...

I have my best ideas on trains too. I'm not sure if it's the silence (or near silence depending on how many mobile phone users there are nearby) or the motion or the fact you get to relax for an hour or so but ideas do tend to jump into my head when previously I was blocked.

Never thought I'd be grateful for my commute (most of the time I'm not).

 
Who links to me?